Now celebrating its 20th anniversary season, the MIT Summer Philharmonic Orchestra (MITSPO)
has been the preeminent summer community orchestra for two decades. Made up of top musicians of the MIT community and the general Greater Boston area, MITSPO hosts a single concert event every summer.
In 2009, MITSPO was invited to participate in the Landmarks Festival at
the Shell series and make its debut at the Hatch Shell at the Boston
MITSPO is proud to be sponsored by MIT Professional Education
MITSPO is conducted by George Ogata
who founded the orchestra in 1995. Mr. Ogata was on the faculty at the Longy School of Music of Bard College as Conductor of the Longy Youth Chamber Orchestra, where he led the senior youth orchestra program for seventeen years. He took the youth orchestra on tour to Austria, Canada, Czech Republic, Finland, France, and Spain. For 2 years, Mr. Ogata joined the faculty of the Powers Music School as the Conductor of the Senior Orchestra of the Massachusetts Youth Symphony Project (MYSP), which he founded in 2013.
In 2014, George Ogata became the 7th Music Director and Conductor of the Reading Symphony Orchestra (RSO)
based in Reading, Massachusetts.
Masterworks performed in the past include:
- Beethoven, Symphony No. 3, "Eroica"
- Borodin, Symphony No. 2
- Brahms, Symphony No. 1
- Brahms, Symphony No. 2
- Brahms, Symphony No. 4
- Bruckner, Symphony No. 6
- Dvorak, Symphony No. 7
- Dvorak, Symphony No. 8
- Dvorak, Symphony No. 9, "From the New World"
- Dvorak, Wood Dove
- Liszt, A Faust Symphony
- Liszt, Mazeppa
- Mahler, Symphony No. 5
- Mahler, Symphony No. 9
- Saint-Saens, Symphony No. 3, "Organ"
- Schubert, Symphony No. 7(8), "Unfinished"
- Schumann, Symphony No. 4
- Sibelius, Finlandia
- Sibelius, Symphony No. 1
- Sibelius, Symphony No. 2
- Smetana, The Moldau
- Rachmaninov, Isle of the Dead
- Rachmaninov, Symphony No. 2
- Rimsky-Korsakov, Capriccio Espagnol
- Rimsky-Korsakov, Scheherazade
- Tchaikovsky, Capriccio Italien
- Tchaikovsky, Francesca da Rimini
- Tchaikovsky, Manfred Symphony
- Tchaikovsky, Romeo and Juliet Overture-Fantasy
- Tchaikovsky, Symphony No. 4
- Tchaikovsky, Symphony No. 5